Have your brain ready, thanks.


Saturday, April 07, 2007

Other blogging platforms

I have been thinking about switching to other blogging platforms all the time. Even blogger isn't the best but it is not bad neither. That's why I am staying for the time being. My favourite is actually Wordpress.

Yahoo! Blog / Xanga / Windows Live! Spaces / Myspaces - These are extremely popular blogging platforms and/or community sites. In fact, I think they are popular choices just because they are popular, especially Xanga, they have a wide user base and generally people loved to stay. The main drawbacks are that I somethings found them buggy and I can't put as much customisation to the layout as I desire.

Vox - New comer to blogging communities. I loved it because of its tight integration with Flickr and Amazon etc. It is even more restrictive than the above, though.

Blogger - This is what I am using now. Less restriction on what the layout can be. Though it is not unrare that I found some features aren't supported by the system. And I think Google is slow in implementing new features.

Wordpress - Downside is that I need to host my own blog to be unbound by the restrictions in place by Wordpress, or else it is just worse than Blogger (in terms of customisations). Custom CSS is a USD$15 upgrade and I can't find a better word than extortion to describe this fee. It's completely unjustified. On the other hand, hosting my own blog is a headache, but it is better than paying them $15 anyway. They even force Google Analytics to every website. (Is it my blog or theirs?)

0 comments: