Have your brain ready, thanks.


Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The pursuit of happyness

I am not intending to write a review. Though I especially like the music at the start and the starting scenes with San Francisco as background. I think the plot after Will Smith Chris Gardner sold the last scanner and be with his son on the beach is not necessary. The audience knew he will get the job, anyway. Cough... I'm not intending to write a review.

Chris said the part of life that he got the job is "happiness". It keeps me thinking: which part is he calling it "happiness"? If you think about it, getting a job doesn't make one feel happy automatically. You see, you have to do work after you get a job, and payroll doesn't even start! Where is the happiness in any job itself?

And I have always thought: if the pursuit of happiness is the pursuit of a good job, then I'd say happiness is pretty damned boring.

But what "getting a job" curtails is what can result in happiness. It can be that the father and his son can finally leave the hell they are living in. It can be that he can stop feeling the frustration of waiting to get a better living. From him, who is even struggling for basic needs, I can feel happiness already when they were at the beach. Everything after that is a little bit overkill.

It is difficult to say what happiness is. In a situation like this we usually use other stuff that can demonstrate signs of happiness. We gradually accustomed to the idea that these stuff is happiness. If one don't think very hard what they really want, one can be distracted easily. At least this is what I think.

The main idea of the movie is not about this, and is instead extremely simple.

0 comments: